Parks & Facilities

Share & Bookmark, Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Hours: Dawn to Dusk
Length: 2.4 miles
Ward: 5
GPS Coordinates: 40 01.984N, 075 22.533W


Radnor Trail 3A major development in Radnor’s recreational amenities is the Radnor Multipurpose Trail. Also known as the P&W trail, it runs along what was once part of the Philadelphia & Western Railway Company track that was first used in 1907. P&W maintained the line until 1956, when it was abandoned and PennDOT acquired the land. In 1976, PennDOT granted Radnor use of the land as a bike and hiking path. A referendum in 1995 discovered a majority of residents would be in favor of developing the abandoned corridor into a multipurpose trail. PennDOT received over $2 million to develop the trail. Construction began in June of 2004 and was completed in January 2006. Officially opened to residents on April 16, 2006, the Radnor Trail has provided residents with a safe location to perform some of their favorite outdoor recreational activities. Utilized year round, the trail has been a welcomed addition to the list of highly valued recreational facilities of Radnor Township. Please refer to the Trail’s list of user recommendations on etiquette and responsibility.

Features & Amenities

Radnor TrailThe 2.4 mile trail runs from Radnor-Chester Road to Sugartown Road. With several key connections located along the part-macadam, part-crushed stone trail surface, multiple uses include walking, jogging, hiking, biking, and rollerblading. A parking lot with a temporary bathroom is available at the Conestoga Road entrance to the trail and along Brooke Road. Dog walking is permitted on the trail and all dogs must be on a leash.

Entrances are located at:

  • Brooke Road
  • Conestoga Road
  • Gallagher Road
  • John Cappelli Golf Range
  • Radnor Chester Road
  • Sugartown Road
  • West Wayne Avenue

History of the P&W Railway

Historical signageHistorical Signage
Several interpretive signs along the Radnor Trail mark the spots of former P&W train stations and tell the history of the old railroad. These signs are part of a long-term project to create interpretive panels commemorating all of the stations that once stood along the trail spearheaded by the Radnor Historical Society and Radnor Conservancy. Most people who run, bike, and walk on the Radnor Trail don't realize that electric trolleys, part of a railroad leading to the 69th Street Terminal, once followed the same path. The concrete supports of the once elevated stations are still found along the trail and an amazingly intact substation building are all that is left of what once was the "Strafford Branch" of the Philadelphia and Western Railway. The Railway was an important part of life in Wayne and Radnor for fifty years. After the trains stopped running, it sat vacant for almost as much time. Now that the right-of-way is in active use once again, it's only appropriate that the story of the P&W be told to the Trail's new generation of travelers. The signs have been placed in important locations, including sites of former railroad stations. The first two signs were funded by a grant from the Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic Development, as well as donations from the Radnor Historical Society, the Friends of Radnor Trails, and Radnor Township. The second phase was made possible mostly by personal donations.

Click each section of the Radnor Multi-Purpose Trail for a closer look at each Historical Sign!

Sugartown Road West Wayne Wayne-St. Davids the Philadelphia and Western

Historical Signs and Articles

Return to full list >>

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer